The NSW Government introduced a bill to Parliament on Wednesday which would enable it to not only CLOSE the Newcastle Rail line, but to RIP IT UP and sell off the land. It is specific to Newcastle Rail line but could set a precedent for other rail lines or public spaces in NSW.
As we know the sale and development of the rail land has been the intention all along, despite denials, the presentation of smokescreens and creative falsehoods over many years.
CRUNCH TIME HAS COME
THE SITUATION IS MORE SERIOUS THAN EVER.
If they manage to get the bill through both houses of Parliament NEXT WEEK it will mean that the previous protection of the Transport Administration Act section 99A will be overruled and that even a win in the Appeal currently before the Supreme Court would be nullified.
The cross benches are vital as they hold the balance of power in the Upper House. We have been reliably informed that the Greens, Christian Democrats and Animal Justice Party will not support the Government in this bill.
BUT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD THE SHOOTERS AND FISHERS PARTY WILL SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENT.
We are therefore urgently seeking to persuade the Shooters and Fishers Party to vote against the bill.
If you have contact/ friendship with any Shooters and Fishers Party members please use your influence to change their reported intentions.
We urge all SOR supporters to flood the two Upper House MP’s, Robert Brown and Robert Borsak with letters, emails, tweets or any way you can get the message to them, BEFORE TUESDAY 15TH SEPT, that there would be serious impacts on their constituents if the bill to close the Newcastle Rail Line is passed.
- Regional communities, of which many Shooters and Fishers belong, would be disadvantaged. Hunter towns such as Scone, Muswellbrook, Singleton, Cessnock, Dungog and Maitland will lose direct public transport access to the beach, TAFE and other educational facilities, Newcastle law courts and cultural amenities of their major regional city.
- This Act would seriously downgrade regional infrastructure. Removal of rail lines will be a permanent loss, with no chance of resuming services when needs grow.
- The only advantage will be to developer greed. The developer lobby is behind this move – the short term gain will be theirs, then they will move on to do another grab for money somewhere else. All NSW will be threatened.
- The government made promises to improve Newcastle and the Hunter with the money from the sale of the port. Now they are saying they need to sell the rail line land to fund the light rail down Hunter Street. Where has the port money gone? There will be nil advantage to the regional communities, only delay and inconvenience permanently.
- No matter what has been offered to get your S&F Party vote it is not worth it! Tell the MP’s don’t let false promises cause you to betray your electors.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND COLLECT SIGNATURES ON THE PETITION (click here for link) and SEND URGENTLY TO SOR BOX 212 ISLINGTON.
RALLY IN FRONT OF PARLIAMENT HOUSE ON FRIDAY 11TH SEPT. 11.00 A.M.
SOR WILL BE THERE. BRING BANNERS/SIGNS